Monday, January 31, 2011

kono hana moe YUKUUUUUUUUUU~

That's Japanese! Kinda! Sorta! ...yeah. It's from the Japanese song I'm supposed to be learning for the multicultural festival they're having at GRCC (I say "supposed to be" because, well, as much as I love the song and the idea of performing it, I don't think we're gonna be able to pull it off in time). The song is called Hanabi and it's by Ikimono Gakari (it's a group, not a person, btw) and I suggest you give it a listen. It's pretty cool. Or at least I think it is. So if you like Queen, Disney, musicals, Paramore, etc, then I'd check it out. :3

I think that line means something like "this flower will keep burning." Or maybe I'm confusing it with another part of the song. (This is very likely.) But the song is kind of about being far apart from someone you care about, or at least that's what I gathered from the glimpse I had of the English lyrics. It's sorta kinda fitting because my bestie, Andrew, picked it and I barely get to see him. (Andrew, if you read this and I've got the meaning wrong, please let me know! xD I haven't looked at the English lyrics in forrrreeeeverrrrr...)

Tonight I was messing around with my guitar, McCarthy, a tad (yes, he has a name) and looking at this Rock Guitar for Dummies book (also from Andrew--he's a Godsend at times). I was lookin' over the chords 'cause I'd read the beginning part of the thing already and how the book is more guitar literate than the Guitar for Dummies (and how literate is a funny word for a genre that includes KISS) and I messed around with some of the chords that were there and the ones I'd picked up from Hanabi until I was kind of working on Hanabi. And I think I've kind of got it? I mean, it's a super simplified version of "got it" and a ton slower, probably, but messing around with guitar and the lyrics seems to be helping my memory. :D

And I also worked on my duet with Megan for solo/ensemble today. Apparently we got this really awesome judge that loves Weber's music and jazz so we should be good. Except I can't play this chunk of the song. I mean, I asked for a little more pizazz, I'll admit. But I didn't think more interesting would mean all this superfasthighE stuff. D: I am not a fan of this high E stuff. At all. (I'm pondering upon sayin' screw it and just singing that part when it comes up...but I think even a cool judge would get mad at me for that.) And during my breaks for that, I worked on lyrics and the correct dynamics and pronunciation for Hanabi! Part of me is like "YES CHOIR! YOU'VE GIVEN ME GOOD TECHNIQUES!" while the other is "AUGH I'M SAYING THIS THE WRONG WAY." Mostly it's been for my T's, which in this song should sound more like D's, but...anyone that's been in choir for a long time should know why I'm struggling here. I wanna say the T so everyone knows it's a T, but...I...can't...

And my poor, poor diaphragm. Oh, baby, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to try and be loud. I'll just get closer to the mic or something. Or we'll work on it. I'm sorry. Please don't make me lose air and squeak again. I dun wanna be the way Anna described a singer like that. D: I'm cooler than that. (No offense, anonymous singer.)

OH AND YEAH. It was funny because on Saturday, Andrew came over and helped me with Hanabi and actually used real music terms. This is more astounding when you know that just last May he was telling a bassist to play "off beat" instead of on the up or down beat (I think it was the up beat in this case). There were also a significantly lower amount of "y'knows" and such, which was kind of really cool to notice. College has done some good! Hooray! (Again, Andrew, I love you and mean no harshness--it's a good thing, I swear).

And that's it. I should really be going to bed, especially considering there is a lot to do tomorrow: School, band, work. But I get to make money. Yay money!

1 comment: