Sunday, December 5, 2010

Creativity: Why why why why?

Why do I write? Because I love it.

Why do I love it? It's fantastic and I'm much better at it than talking. It lets me get what I'm thinking out into the world in a way that others can understand. Writing gives me time to mull over what I mean and lets me see my thoughts in actuality. I can reread something and then rethink it, while in my head I might lose something before I have time to comprehend what I meant by it.

Why do I sing? Because I love it.

Why do I love it? It makes me happy. I don't know if I'm any good or not, but I feel like I am when I'm just doing it and it makes me feel like I'm awesome. I can interpret the words the way I want and sing them the way they make me feel and though my bland stage performances might say otherwise, I can show emotion when I'm singing. Just watch me sing Wicked in the car, man. And that's another thing. When you're singing those big old notes or Defying Gravity or whatever...how can you not feel great? It's amazing.

Why do I draw? Because I love it.

Why do I love it? It lets me see what I created in my head, like writing. It shows me my characters and all that without it being tossed out of my head. I'm forgetful as heck and it's reassuring that I've at least got a little bit of talent to keep the basic idea of my characters alive. And while I'm drawing, ideas come to me. Personality traits, little obsessions. I learn more about my characters by drawing them.

Why do I love all this? Because they take my mind away from itself and distract me. Without writing, doodling, and singing, I probably wouldn't be as sane as I am today. What do I do when I'm upset in class? I doodle or write. What do I do when I'm sobbing? I try to sing a happy song or I write. Creativity is what keeps me sane; not just music, or writing, or art, but all of it. The act of creating something new of my own keeps me sane.

Now, can I do any of this for a living? I have no idea. I kind of would like to do it all, but, um...that seems kind of difficult to do, don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. *j'adore*

    You can make a living doing all of it. You just have to be determined and DO it.

    Will you be rich? Maybe not.

    Will you be happy? Sounds like you just might be.

    ReplyDelete