Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thought processes intrigue me.

Or, rather, the uniqueness of them does.

Isn't it weird to think that something completely normal to you is utterly alien to someone else? That something your family has done for years and years is a brand new idea to a friend? I think it is sometimes. The fact that people in general are so different is weird to me. How does everyone grow up in the same world with such different experiences? How do we all end up in the same place a different way?

Take my maternal grandparents for a weak example. I call-called-gah-this-is-difficult-to-try-and-explain-now them Mamaw and Papaw, which I think is a southern , but I'm not entirely sure, so don't quote me on that. But I've always known that not everyone uses those names, even though it sometimes took me a minute to realize why someone wouldn't get it right away. Although it's not really odd that not everyone uses these names because I've known that since I was little. Everybody had two Grandmas and two Grandpas, not a Grandma, a Grandpa, a Mamaw, and a Papaw. I was special like that.

Another thing was that I saw (and kind of successfully avoided!) some friends at Swing the other night when I got dropped off downtown after the beach. One of the friends asked my mom where I was, to which my mother responded with "Oh, she's down here somewhere!" If I had learned something like this, I would've left a question on that person's wall asking where they was at. She didn't, though she might've seen Megan and I jump into the van all speedy-like when my parents pulled up a little more. Sorry, guys. A lot of you annoy me a whole bunch and I don't like seeing you. School is going to freaking suck because of this.

Another good example might be the use of a simple word like "stupid". Honestly, that word is kind of stupid in the way that it's not a good word to use to describe anything. Yet, if someone you care about calls something that you're kind of worrying about stupid, you can get really, really upset with that person you love. It can also make you realize on the car ride home from a place like Grand Haven that your rawrgh-gawsh-I'm-angry face and your bored-blah-nothing-to-do face are very similar and it's no wonder people confuse the two.

Sometimes people decide that it's okay to call people mean things. We've all done it before. Maybe you've called someone the worst mistake of your life before. Maybe not. If you did, though, maybe you didn't realize when you said it that it might make it back to her. Maybe you didn't think that far ahead when you said it. Maybe you didn't really care. I doubt that, though, because she's your friend. Isn't she? Maybe you didn't think that saying it LOUD ENOUGH SO EVERYONE COULD HEAR would mean that someone would get mad at you for her. Maybe you thought everyone would take it as a joke. I obviously didn't, but maybe I'm weird. You certainly thought I was when I asked you if you were a complete idiot or if you just liked being a jerk (alright, I used a different word, yeah, but that's beside the point). You responded just as rudely with an f-bomb and walked off. I proceeded to resist beating you to a bloody pulp with my clarinet case; I needed it nice for marching band season, I think. But maybe my reaction was overdramatic. Maybe I was the one being weird. Or maybe I was the only sane one in that room that felt like she didn't deserve to be called the worst mistake of your life.

(This should be noted: I was NOT called the worst mistake of his life, a good friend was. I just yelled at him for it.)

Grief is another thing that is processed in the mind differently. We all go through pain in a way that's probably weird to others. Sometimes it gets bottled up. Sometimes it comes out in tears, screams, anything like that. People get angry, people get over it quickly, people are okay at first and breaking down in the next second. I've felt less depression over the loss of Mamaw than I ever thought I would. The complete details of how I've felt about not being completely depressed is a whole 'nother post in itself, I'm sure, so I'll just focus on this point. I feel like this is both a relief and completely weird. What about my aunt, my cousin, and my mom? They've felt so much more crap over this than I have. I've read enough of Katherine's blog and heard enough about Aunt Cris to know that. But I guess I didn't spend almost every moment of my life around Mamaw, so I wasn't as attached. She wasn't my mother or my second mother. She didn't raise me like she raised Cris or Kate or my mom. She wasn't nearly as close to me as she was to them. ...I'd kind of like to get off this subject, actually. Another time I'll finish my thoughts about this, maybe.

So, I guess my point is that people are really different. This fact intrigues me to no end and I'm re-realizing it over and over again everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment